Sony launched Xperia 5 series smartphone named Xperia 5 II successor to Xperia 5. Sony Xperia 5 II was released on 17 Sep 2020.
Xperia 5 II is priced at $950 USD In US @ 8GB + 128GB Base Variant. it was Launched in Another variant with 8GB Ram and 256GB Storage.
Sony Xperia 5 II features the Snapdragon chip from Qualcomm named SD 865 which is available on Blackshark 3, Find X2 Pro too. This chip is made of 7nm LPP (Low Power Plus) FinFet process. this processor is divided into 3 parts; the first part features 3 x A77 High power cores which are clocked at 2.42GHz, The second part features 4 x A55 high powered cores that are clocked at 1.8GHz and Third Part consists of an A77 Single core which is clocked at 2.84GHZ. It has Adreno 650 GPU which increases its work by 20% compared to SD 855 the last Flagship processor from Qualcomm. It has a 5G Modem which 5G Ready for Future Use. Coming to the AI Department it does not have Ai built in the processor, it has AI Optimizations which helps in AI Capabilities.
I will divide the review into pros & cons. let’s see quick specs of Sony Xperia 5 II and Jump into the review.
Sony Xperia 5 II Specs
- 6.1” FHD+ OLED Display with 120Hz Refresh Rate, 240Hz Touch Sampling Rate, HDR 10 Support
- Protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on Front & Back, Aluminium Frame On Side
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865
- Adreno 650 GPU
- 8 GB LPDDR4X Ram
- 128 GB Internal Storage.
- Triple Camera: 12MP, f/1.7, 24mm, Dual Pixel, OIS (main) + 12MP f/2.4, 70mm PDAF, 3x optical zoom, OIS (telephoto) + 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm, Dual Pixel PDAF (ultrawide)
- 8MP f/2.0, 24mm front camera
- 4000mAH battery with 21W Fast Charging support
- Android 10.0
- Side Mounted fingerprint scanner / Volte / Dual GPS
- WiFi / Bluetooth 5.0 / 5G
- USB – C / NFC
6.1″ Full HD+ OLED screen :
Here in Display Department, Sony Xperia 5 II Features an Excellent Full HD+ Resolution OLED panel Notchless Edge screen made by Sony with 449 pixels per inch, the colours are vibrant and enjoyable, viewing angles are also Excellent. It is very bright to see in direct sunlight. there is also Support to View HDR 10+, Dolby Vision Content. This Oled Panel is Majorly Used in Sony Premium Oled TV’s.
Stereo Speaker and Headphone Jack:
In Sony Xperia 5 II, Sony Used the traditional Stereo Speaker System and it is Much louder and equal when Compared to Xperia 5 Speaker System used in 2019 Sony flagship Smartphone. these speakers are supported by Dolby DTS X Sound technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos) tuned with 7.1 Channel which helps to get clear sound output from the mobile speaker. The sound is Is More impressive Dolby Atmos and Dynamic Vibration System.
Sony Has Kept Headphone jack In their Smartphones. Coming to 3.5mm jack and earphones, the 3.5mm jack was equipped which provides a punchy and clear sound. there are a good pair of headphones in the Box which have Excellent Sound Signature.
Build Quality :
Sony Xperia 5 II is Build with an Aluminium Frame on the side on Back & Front of the Device Is Protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 6. The combination of glass and metal frame is excellent. it provides a good look and feels Because it is made with Aluminium and Glass. There are no issues of creakiness with the build quality.
side Mounted Fingerprint scanner:
Sony Xperia 5 II Features a Side-mounted fingerprint sensor which is present on the Topside of the phone. By performance, it is fast and very accurate to recognize the fingerprint of the user. Here Sony included the fingerprint gestures to engage with other things to do.
My Sony Xperia 5 II lasted a Full Working day with heavy usage and at the end of the day, I had 22% of charge left in the phone which is good for a 4000 mAH Battery. We got nearly 5.3Hours of Sot( Screen on time) on using Mobile data which is good. We got above 5.7 hr Battery life when Continuously used Xperia 5 II on WiFi. The ideal drain of Sony Xperia 5 II is very low. Sony done a good job by placing by placing 21W USB PD Adapter in the Box. the 21W USB-C PD Adapter charges 50% Xperia 5 II phone in 30min which is a bit good. The Battery Care options in Xperia 5 II Takes Care about Battery In all Conditions for Not To Decrease the Capacity of the Battery Quickly.
Android 11 Operating System :
Android 11 present on the Xperia 5 II is very fast & so fluid, No lags were noticed. It does Not have bloatware majorly games and other apps only Amazon apps included. There Some New Features Like Conversation notifications, Notification History, Chat Bubbles, Screen Recorder, Media Controls, Smart Devices, Dark theme Schedule, share sheet Apps, Android Auto, Voice Access Update, Enterprise Privacy on Xperia 5 II Which Makes It Special.
We can get Several Updates On System Optimization, Security patches and New Android Version upgrades easily because it is Stock Android UI.
My Sony Xperia 5 II managed to do day to day tasks very well like the Xperia 1 Which was Released Last Year. there are No issues and problems with the UI. there are no heating issues with Sony Xperia 5II. It Feels a bit warm In Outdoor Conditions While Recording 4K Videos and Gaming.
Coming to Gaming, we played Asphalt 9 & Call of Duty at highest graphics setting without lags & frame drops in the game.
Ram Management :
Ram Management is done very well on this Sony Xperia 5 II device. it features 8GB ram variants and I did not notice any lags with the device and there are no reloading of apps on this Sony Xperia 5 II. Multitasking experience is good.
in Xperia 5 II, Out of 128GB Storage, we get 109 GB With Google Account Included.
Call Quality :
The Call quality on Xperia 5 II is outstanding and there are no issues with cellular call quality. We have taken long calls in a day, and the other party doesn’t complain about call Quality. The earpiece is present in Top Bezel Which Acts as a Stereo Speaker Too. In Xperia 5 II the Calls are very clear through the Loudspeaker.
Coming to the Camera Department, iXperia 5 II features a Triple Camera setup on the back of the device and a Single camera on the front of the device. lets divide the cameras and look at the performance of them
1. Primary Camera: the 12MP main Camera With OIS is Awesome and features a Fixed Aperture of F/1.7. The daylight pictures are excellent and contain Awesome details. Exposure is in control with a Decent Dynamic range to take good pictures in good lighting Conditions. When the Light is More the Exposure is in control and There is no problem in image Quality. In low light Conditions, the images are clear and Sharp without noise which are perfect. Sony has Included their own Autofocus in the Xperia 5 named Eye Tracking which is very fast When Compared other Smartphones in this Category.
2. Ultra Wide Angle Camera: the 12MP ultra wide angle lens with OIS on Sony Xperia 5 II does a good job in good lighting conditions and features a Fixed Aperture of F/2.2. it captures a much wider picture in 124˚ field of view with good details. exposure is in control with a decent dynamic range. in low lighting conditions, the 12MP camera is also equal to 12MP Main Camera captures good photos with decent sharpness and exposure in control.
3. Telephoto camera:
the 12MP main Camera With OIS is Awesome and features a Fixed Aperture of F/2.4. The Telephoto camera is Awesome and provides Good bokeh in portrait images. The 3x Optical Zoom in Pictures Looks Good. max you can Go Upto 6x After Pictures Starts shredding.
Video recording can be done up to [email protected] .the video footage has excellent Colours with great sharpness and decent dynamic range. Stabilization is good in [email protected] And 1080p FHD recording Due to Six Axis Optical Image Stabilization. The video quality in the low night conditions is very good with good Sharpness and Decent Dynamic range. the Telephoto Camera Makes Difference in Video Recording with 3x Lossless Zoom. Eye Tracking works excellent in video department also.
Slow Motion video Recording is Awesome in 1080P @ 960 FPS.
Selfie camera :
Sony Xperia 5 II has a 8MP selfie camera with large 1.22 μm pixel size and 84˚ field of view. it has a fixed aperture of F/2.0 the Picture quality is good and captures pictures in a Wide view in good lighting conditions it also captures Equal lowlight images compared to the rear camera. AI beautification mode is available. Photos are well detailed and contain a decent dynamic range. Sony have to provide atleast 16MP front camera in Xperia 5 III.
This single camera can be used to take portraits images from the front with the Help of Artifical Intelligence.
Water and Dust Resistance:
Sony has included IP68 Water and Dust resistance to protect Sony Xperia 5 II from Water spills.
- Slim & Compact Body based On Classic Xperia Design
- Awesome battery life, Battery Care Features which Takes Care about Battery
- Awesome FHD+ 120Hz Oled Panel, Bright Enough in Direct Sunlight
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 chipset
- Awesome stereo speakers With Headphone Jack
- Power camera experience in Still Shots With Carl Zeiss Optics
- Low light shots are excellent and equal to Google Night Sight
- IP68 Water and Dust Resistance
- No Wireless Charging
- Needs Some Change While Switching to 4K @ 60 / 120 fps
- Need To Change The Front Camera, Next Time Atlest 12MP Sensor
Who can Get Sony Xperia 5 II SmartPhone view:
if you want a True Flagship Phone with FHD+ OLED Screen, with Snapdragon 865 processor and 21W Wired fast charging 8MP Front Camera, Triple Rear Camera Setup then you can go with Xperia 5 II SmartPhone. If you want the Same Full-Screen Design Smartphone then
Huawei Mate 40
Pixel 5 and if you want better cameras Within a Higher Price Range then
Asus Zenfone 7 Pro
Samsung S20 Ultra can be your Alternatives to Sony Xperia 5 II
If you are using Sony Xperia 5 II then Share your experiences with us in the comment section below and Stay tuned to MobiRadar for more Reviews like this