Oneplus launched an 8-series smartphone named Oneplus 8 successor to Oneplus 7T. Oneplus 8 was released in India on 14 April 2020.
Oneplus 8 is priced at 41,999 Indian Rupees In India @ 6GB + 128GB Base Variant, 8GB RAM + 128GB storage: INR 44,999 & 12GB RAM + 256GB storage: INR 49,999
Oneplus 8 features the Snapdragon chip from Qualcomm named SD 865 which is available on Blackshark 3, Find X2 Pro, LG V60 ThinQ too. This chip is made of 7nm LPP (Low Power Plus) FinFet process. this processor is divided into 3 parts; the first part features 3 x A77 High power cores which are clocked at 2.42GHz, The second part features 4 x A55 high powered cores that are clocked at 1.8GHz and Third Part consists of an A77 Single core which is clocked at 2.84GHZ. It has Adreno 650 GPU which increases its work by 20% compared to SD 855 the last Flagship processor from Qualcomm. It has a 5G Modem which 5G Ready for Future Use. Coming to the AI Department it does not have Ai built in the processor, it has AI Optimizations which helps in AI Capabilities.
I will divide the review into pros & cons. let’s see quick specs of Oneplus 8 and Jump into the review.
Oneplus 8 Specs
- 6.55” FHD+ Fluid AMOLED Display with HDR 10+ Support & 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Protected with Corning Gorilla Glass front and Back
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865
- Adreno 650
- 8 / 12GB LPDDR4X Ram
- 128GB / 256 GB Internal Storage.
- Triple Camera: 48MP F/1.8, PDAF, OIS (main) + 16MP F/2.2, 13mm, PDAF, + (Ultrawide) + 2MP F/2.4 (Macro)
- 16MP f/2.0 MP front camera
- 4300mAH battery with 30W Wrap fast charging support
- Oxygen Os 10.0 Based on Android One 10.0
- In-Display fingerprint scanner / Volte / Dual GPS
- WiFi / Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – C / NFC
6.55” Full HD+ Fluid AMOLED screen :
Here in the Display Department, Oneplus 8 Features an Excellent Full HD+ Fluid Amoled panel Notchless Edge screen. the colors are vibrant and enjoyable, viewing angles are also Excellent. There are No issues & problems with screen quality. It is very bright to see in direct sunlight. there is also Support to View HDR 10+ Content.
It has 90 Hz Refresh rate Display Which is good For an Oneplus Smartphone. We Can Adjust The Display Refresh Rate From 90 Hz to 60 Hz. By Changing Refresh rate You Can Save the battery life also. You can change the Refresh Rate in Settings, Settings —> Display —> Screen Refresh Rate.
Stereo Speaker and Headphone Jack:
In Oneplus 8, Oneplus Used the traditional Stereo Speaker System and it is equal when Compared to Stereo Speaker System used in 2020 flagship Smartphones. we can see this traditional Stereo Speaker System in Oneplus 7T Smartphone also. These speakers are supported by Dolby Atmos Sound technology tuned which helps to get clear sound output from the mobile speaker.
Oneplus Has Removed Headphone jack In their Smartphones From Oneplus 7T. This Year Also Oneplus Continued the same trend and removed 3.5MM headphone jack. Coming to USB-C and earphones, the USB-C port was equipped which provides a punchy and clear sound. there are no headphones in the Box. We have to Buy Those Separately For 24.95 USD In the US and 1499 Indian rupees In India. Another Twist Was oneplus Also Removed 3.5MM To USB – C Dongle From In Box Contents which is Bad For Oneplus.
Build Quality :
Oneplus 8 is Build with a 6000 Series Aluminium Frame on the side on Back & Front of the Device Is Protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5. it provides a good look and feels Because it is made with 6000 Series Aluminium and Glass. There are no issues of creakiness with the build quality. Oneplus 8 well built and the bezels are shrunk down to place a 6.55″ Fluid Amoled screen. The Oneplus 8 Very thin and it is About 8 mm.
For the Protection Oneplus Provides a Superb Quality Clear Case Out of the Box.
In-Display Fingerprint scanner:
Oneplus 8 Features an In-Display mounted fingerprint sensor which is present on the Bottom Front of the phone. By performance, it is fast and very accurate to recognize the fingerprint of the user.
Oneplus 8 has a face unlock feature. It works Nice in Normal Conditions Very Quickly and And Securely but in Night Conditions it will work 40% Screen brightness to recognize the user.
Oneplus 8 feels A bit Heavy with 6.55″ Screen and 4300 mAh battery equipped. This Oneplus 8 cannot be used by one hand because of very Large Display and the device is A Bit heavy. The weight balance is done well on the device though it is Made Up of 6000 Series Aluminum and Glass On Front and Back of the Device.
My Oneplus 8 lasted a Full Working day with heavy usage 90Hz Refresh Rate and at the end of the day, I had 21% of charge left in the phone which is good for a 4300 mAH Battery. We got a 5.3 to 5.7 Hours of Sot( Screen on time) on using Mobile data which is good. you will get above 6hr Battery life if you use Continuously on WiFi. The ideal drain of Oneplus 8 is very low. the 30W Wrap charging makes a difference and charges the phone in 70 min which is a bit good.
Oxygen Os 10 Based On Android 10 :
Oxygen Os present on the Oneplus 8 is very fast & so fluid, No lags were noticed. It does Not have bloatware majorly games and other apps only Amazon apps included. It is a clean UI That gives Stock Android Like Experience. There are some extra features like Dual Apps, Direct video calling feature, Always on Display in this Oxygen Os making Oneplus 8 Perfect
We can get Several Updates On System Optimization, Security patches and New Android Version upgrades. there are Several modes likes Zen mode, In-Built Screen Recorder, Finatic mode.
My Oneplus 8 managed to do day to day tasks very well like the Oneplus 8 Pro Which was Released Last Year. there are no issues and problems with the UI. there are no heating issues with Oneplus 8. It Feels a bit warm In Outdoor Conditions While Recording 4K Videos and Gaming, But From Inside it will be cool Due to Oneplus Cooling System. You can see CPU Unthrottling While Gaming.
Ram Management :
Ram Management is done very well on this Oneplus 8 device. it features 6 / 8 GB ram variants and I did not notice any lags with the 8GB Ram device and there is no reloading of apps on this Oneplus 8. The multitasking experience is good.
Coming to Gaming, we played Asphalt 9 & PUBG at highest graphics setting without lags & frame drops in the game. this Snapdragon 865 Processor is very suitable for heavy gaming. Oneplus 8 has UFS 3.1 Storage System, with the Alcarto Game Capture card we can stream & Record the Games.
in Oneplus 8, Out of 128GB, 256GB Storage, we get 108GB & 242GB With Google Account Included. Oneplus 8 Comes With UFS 3.1 a faster Storage option To transfer data, Load Apps And Games fastly.
Call Quality :
The Call quality on Oneplus 8 is outstanding and there are no issues with cellular call quality. We have taken long calls in a day, and the other party doesn’t complain about call quality. The earpiece is present in Top Bezel Which Acts as a Stereo Speaker Too. In Oneplus 8 the Calls are very clear through the Loudspeaker.
Coming to the Camera Department, Oneplus 8 features a Triple Camera setup on the back of the device and a Single camera on the front of the device. they work perfectly in Oneplus 8. let’s divide the cameras and look at the performance of them
1. Primary Camera: the 48MP main Camera With OIS & PDAF is Awesome and features a Fixed Aperture of F/1.7. The daylight pictures are excellent and contain exquisite details Which are near to natural photo. Exposure is in control with a Decent Dynamic range to take good pictures in good lighting conditions. When the Light is More it cannot Control the Exposure and We will Get More Brighter images With a little bit washed out Colours. In low light conditions, the images are clear and Sharp without noise but Exposure is Not in Control and Colours In image Will be a Bit washed which is not good to see. There is a perfect Pro mode To take the Images As You Like By Adjusting ISO and Brightness.
2. Ultra Wide Angle Camera: the 16MP ultra-wide-angle lens on Oneplus 8 does a good job in good lighting conditions and features a Fixed Aperture of F/2.2. it captures a much wider picture in a 108˚ field of view with good details. exposure is in control with a decent dynamic range. in low lighting conditions, the 16MP camera captures good photos with decent sharpness and Control On Exposure. Some Times The Autofocus Misses In the Ultrawide Mode. Oneplus Has to Fix This.
3. 2MP Macro camera:
Oneplus 8 has A 2MP macro Camera of F/2.4 Which Allows You to Capture Macro Shots From a Distance of 4 Cm. The Quality Of the Image is Pretty Good.
Video recording can be done up to 4k@60fps .the video footage has excellent Colours with Average sharpness and decent dynamic range. Stabilization is good in 4k@60fps And 1080p FHD recording Due to Optical Image Stabilization. The video quality in the low night conditions is very good with good Sharpness and Decent Dynamic range.
Slow Motion video Recording is Good in 1080P @ 240 FPS . 720P@480 FPS is Not Way Good
Selfie camera :
Oneplus 8 has a 16MP selfie camera with a large 1.22 μm pixel size and 80˚ field of view. it has a fixed aperture of F/2.45 the Picture quality is good and captures pictures in a Wide view in good lighting conditions it also captures Equal low-light images compared to the rear camera. AI beautification mode is available. Photos are well detailed and contain a decent dynamic range.
This single-camera can be used to take portraits images from the front with the Help of Artificial Intelligence.
- Awesome, Bright 90 Hz Oled Panel
- Good Build With Aluminum and Glass
- Best Stereo Speakers In the Class
- Fast and Fluid Oxygen Os With More Features This Time
- Power-packed hardware
- Good Cameras In Day And Night Conditions
- Long Battery Life With 90Hz Refresh Rate
- UFS 3.0 Storage Makes Difference
- Faster Charging
- No Headphone Jack
- The camera is a Way Downgrade than Oneplus 7T
- No Always On Display
- no Sharpness in 4K video
- the 2x Zoom is a Gimmick
- No Wireless Charging & IP68 Water and Dust Resistance
Who can Get Oneplus 8 SmartPhone view:
if you want a True Flagship Phone with Bright Fluid 90Hz AMOLED Full HD+ screen, with Snapdragon 865 processor and 30W Wired fast charging 16MP Front Camera, Triple Rear Camera Setup at a lower cost then you can go with Oneplus 8 SmartPhone. If you want the Same Full-Screen Design Smartphone With Extra Features like IP68 Water & Dust Resistance & Wireless Charging then
- Samsung S20+
- Mi 10 5G
- Find X2 5G
- iPhone 11
- Huawei P40 and if you want better hardware with awesome cameras Within a Higher Price Range then
- Realme X50 Pro
- IQOO 3 can be your Alternatives to Oneplus 8 If Have Oneplus 7T You Can Have It Same Performance You Will Notice In All Aspects. The Cameras in oneplus 7T are Way better than Oneplus 8.
If you are using Oneplus 8 then Share your experiences with us in the comment section below and Stay tuned to MobiRadar for more Reviews like this